Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
In 1859, the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland purchased the former premises of the Kildare Street Club, but unfortunately the property burned down prior to the college taking occupancy, resulting in their commissioning William Murray to design their new building on the site. In 1864, the RCPI moved into its current purpose built building, at 6 Kildare Street. The building was constructed in three phases, over a period of twenty years, with the main entrance and reception halls being completed in 1863, followed by the Council Rooms and then the College Hall. The building is almost a true replica of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh.
The care of the building has been entrusted to many architects over the years, with our having been involved in its conservation since 1977.
The Royal College of Physicians of Ireland