Scott Tallon Walker
 
 
 
 
 

University College Dublin - Biotechnology Building

stw
stw
stw
stw
 
 
 

 

1991 - 1993
Belfield, Dublin 4

Client
National University of Ireland Dublin
Area
1600 sq.m

Awards
Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland / Regional Award
1994

Irish Concrete Society Awards /
1993

PLAN Magazine / Regional Award
1993



View Sustainability Information 
Project Location on Google Maps
Email link to this Page 

 

The Biotechnology Building was designed in 1991 as the first of a series of research buildings intended to form a Life Sciences precinct within the university campus at Belfield.  

 

Although relatively small in area (it is only 1,500m2) its plan form and elegant appearance with north facing laboratories on two levels and a south facing studio-like drum for write up, was hugely successful and won several design awards. 

 

It was clad with small scale modular GRC Panels (900 x 900mm) with granite bands at the window heads. The complete building was subsequently absorbed into the much larger “Conway Institute” designed by the practice in 1999.